Can You Play Tennis in a Dress?
Tennis is a sport that requires a lot of skill, coordination, agility and strategy. It’s also a sport that has been traditionally played in a specific type of attire, namely shorts and a sleeveless top or polo shirt. But is it possible to play tennis in a dress?
|Bet on Tennis Online
50% up to $1,000 Welcome Bonus
A+ Rating Review
25+ Years Online
The answer to this question is a resounding yes. There are several factors that come into play when considering whether or not tennis can be played in a dress, and we’ll explore them in this article.
The Pros and Cons of Wearing a Dress
When it comes to playing tennis in a dress, there are both pros and cons to consider.
- Fashionable: Wearing a dress to play tennis is a great way to express yourself and show off your personality. It’s also a great way to stand out from the crowd and make a statement.
- Comfortable: Dresses are generally more comfortable than shorts and a top. Dresses allow for more freedom of movement, so you can focus on your game rather than worrying about what you’re wearing.
- Protection: Dresses offer more protection from the sun and wind than traditional tennis attire, which can be beneficial on hot, windy days.
- Embarrassment: Some people might feel embarrassed or uncomfortable wearing a dress to play tennis, especially if they are playing against other players who are wearing traditional attire.
- Unsuitable: Depending on the type of dress, it might not be suitable for playing tennis. For example, a long dress is likely to get in the way of your movement and might be uncomfortable to move around in.
- Unprofessional: If you are playing competitively, wearing a dress may be seen as unprofessional and may not be allowed in certain tournaments.
Types of Dresses Suitable for Tennis
While it is possible to play tennis in a dress, not all dresses are suitable for the sport. Here are some suggestions for types of dresses that are suitable for playing tennis:
- Tennis dress: There are specially designed tennis dresses that are designed to provide maximum comfort and freedom of movement. These usually feature a built-in shorts for extra coverage and protection.
- T-shirt dress: A t-shirt dress is a great option for playing tennis as it is lightweight, comfortable and provides plenty of coverage.
- Maxi dress: A maxi dress is a great choice for playing tennis as it is long enough to provide coverage and comfort, but not so long that it gets in the way of your movement.
- Sundress: A sundress is a great option for playing tennis in hot weather as it is lightweight and airy. It also offers plenty of coverage and protection from the sun.
Tips for Playing Tennis in a Dress
If you decide to play tennis in a dress, there are a few tips you should keep in mind:
- Choose the right dress: Make sure to choose a dress that is suitable for playing tennis. It should be comfortable, lightweight, and provide enough coverage and protection.
- Wear the right underwear: Make sure to wear the right underwear when playing tennis in a dress. For example, if you’re wearing a tennis dress, you should wear a sports bra for extra coverage and protection.
- Layer up: If you’re playing in cold weather, make sure to layer up. Wear a long-sleeved shirt or jacket over your dress for extra warmth and protection.
- Protect your skin: Make sure to apply sunscreen before playing tennis in a dress to protect your skin from the sun.
Famous Players Who Wore Dresses
The most famous player to have worn a dress while playing tennis is Billie Jean King, who famously wore a dress while playing against Bobby Riggs in the 1973 “Battle of the Sexes” match.
While King’s dress was a statement about gender equality, other players have worn dresses for more practical reasons. For example, Maria Sharapova famously wore a dress while playing at the French Open in 2011 to protect her legs from the sun.
Is It Allowed in Competitive Matches?
The rules for competitive matches vary from tournament to tournament, but most tournaments do not allow players to wear dresses.
However, some tournaments, such as the US Open, do allow players to wear skirts, dresses and other items that are considered “athletic attire”.
It is always best to check the rules of the tournament before wearing a dress to play competitively.
In conclusion, it is possible to play tennis in a dress. While there are pros and cons to wearing a dress, with the right type of dress and the right attitude, it can be a great way to express yourself and have fun while playing the sport.
When playing competitively, it is best to check the rules of the tournament before wearing a dress. But overall, it is definitely possible to play tennis in a dress.